COTPA Enforcement by Bihar Police — Workshop in Patna
In Bihar, DSP rank officers have been nominated in districts as nodal officers to enforce the Cigarettes & Other Tobacco Products Act (COTPA). Cancer Awareness Society (CAS) and Bihar Police Department with Voice of Tobacco Victims organized a state-level workshop at Hotel Chanakya in Patna, Bihar on 17th July 2012.
This was attended by :
- Amarjeet Sinha (Principal Secretary – Health)
- Abhyanand (DGP – Bihar)
- 45 DSP rank police officers from across the state of Bihar
- Amal Pushp (Director – Tobacco Control, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, New Delhi)
- Advocate Ranjit Singh (MoHFW),
- CAS members: Sh.TP Sinha (Former DGP – Bihar), Sh. Arvind Singh (Ex- DM), Sh. Parvez Khan (IGIMS)
- Dr. Abdul Hai (Sr. Oncologist, Hai Research Center)
- Sanjay Seth (India – Program Director, Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids)
- Ashima Sarin (Project Director, Voice of Tobacco Victims), VoTV members (cancer patients) present were: Dilip Kumar, Girdhari Aggarwal, HR Kedia, Santosh Kumar, Bindeshwar Prasad.
The workshop, inaugurated by DGP Abhyanand, sensitized the police officers to the dangers of tobacco addiction and the urgent need to enforce punitive measures of COTPA Sections 4 and 6.
Dr. VP Singh did a VoTV in the workshop. Cancer survivors told how disastrous tobacco addiction has been for them and their families. The police officers were moved hearing the sufferings of the patients.
Sh. Amal Pushp, MoHFW, hailed the initiative of Bihar Police and said that this is probably the first workshop of its kind, for controlling the menace of tobacco in the state.
Sh. Amarjeet Sinha said that students should spread the message far and wide. A monthly fest would be organized 73 thousand primary schools of the country to make children aware of the health hazards of tobacco.